Sunday, April 5, 2009

Other books I have read

Young Adult Fairy Tales I have read in the last twelvemonth . . .


The Princess and the Hound by Matte Ivie Harrison
This fairy tale got off to a slow start but I really enjoyed it. This story of the devotion between a princess and her hound and the hero who must love them both really drew me in. The writing was very good and the story was unusual. I could especially relate to the bond between the girl and her dog.




Ever by Gail Carson Levine
This latest fairy tale from Levine has been getting rave reviews but I'm not sure I liked it. A god disguises himself as a man, falls in love with a girl and tries to save the girl from a terrible fate. I didn't like this as much as Ella Enchanted.


A Curse as Dark As Gold by Elizabeth C. Bunce
A wonderful retelling of Rumpelstiltskin set during the Industrial Revolution. This story really drew me in and the
description of the mill and the village was so vivid, I felt like I was part of the story.
 






Books of Bayern: Goose Girl, Enna Burning, River Secrets by Shannon Hale

Based on the little-known fairy tale Goose Girl, Shannon Hale has created her own world and her own fairy tale. I listened to Goose Girl on audio book and I couldn't stop until I finished! It's a thrilling tale. While there is a damsel in distress, she doesn't sit around and wait for help to come. She's a very appealing heroine and at first has ideas that go against the rules society has laid out for her and later takes matters into her own hands. Enna Burning is a little darker and more gruesome but Enna is a really great heroine. Like Isy, she's spunky and confident and doesn't let anyone tell her what to do. River Secrets continues the tales with Razzo, a male character who briefly appeared in the first two stories. Razzo is really funny and provides the comic relief in this coming-of-age story set in the shaky peace after the war of the second book. Each story is about one of the natural elements and has a fantasy twist. Hale makes that fantasy seem normal and believable. I can't wait to read the 4th Book of Bayern!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comments and or suggestions for QNPoohBear, the modern bluestocking.