Sunday, April 5, 2009

Books I recently finished

What I've Read This Week



Ivy by Julie Hearn -YA Historical Fiction
Set in Dickensian London, the details were very gritty and gave a realistic portrait of the lower classes of English society. The plot was OK, kind of sad but I couldn't wait to find out what happened to Ivy. I liked the addition of Pre-Raphaelite painters and the mysterious new charity home. The story does not have a fairy tale ending but it does end happily and I'm not sure how realistic that is.


The Unrivalled Spangles by Karen Wallace -YA Historical Fiction
Ell
en is an important member of a 19th century English circus family, but she's unhappy and wants more out of life than the circus. A terrible tragedy forces her to examine her feelings about life and love. This book isn't bad but it isn't great either. It's kind of sad and I was disappointed with Ellen's choice.



The Revolution of Sabine by Beth Levine Ain - YA Historical Fiction
I thought I would enjoy this novel of a young lady who wishes to break free of the constricting rules of her wealthy French family just prior to the French Revolution. The story wasn't nearly long enough to fully cover the subject. I did like Sabine and her personal growth was interesting but the ending felt kind of rushed and unsatisfying. Sabine's mother is a wonderful villain and well-written so that the reader alternately sympathizes with her and hates her. The writing style seemed very juvenile and modern for a YA historical fiction novel. I've read better but I've read worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comments and or suggestions for QNPoohBear, the modern bluestocking.