Saturday, May 12, 2012

Titanic Tea

Titanic Tea


I had the pleasure of attending a Titanic-themed tea at a local house museum this afternoon. I wore a dress made from Sense & Sensibility's 1910s Tea Gown. The dress is very lovely but as it doesn't come with a lady's maid, it is highly impractical. (Also, the anachronistic zipper is broken). My dresser arranged my hair as suggested in this video. I would recommend smaller rats or putting your rats in sheer nylons or something the color of your own hair.






Each guest was issued a boarding pass for Titanic. 


Before "boarding" we had photos taken with Captain Smith. I wore a lovely blue heart necklace and imagine my shock when a young artist showed me a sketch he had done of a young lady wearing nothing but a similar necklace! I blushed and covered my face with my fan. 

We boarded on April 10 and the tea was held that afternoon. Once aboard, we were assigned identities. I was Miss Edith Graham, a young lady of independent means traveling with her mother and her governess.  We enjoyed tea sandwiches, scones, small pastries and tea. 



The Captain told us all about the brand new ship and his plans for retirement.
 



Mrs. Sallie (Monypenny) Beckwith talked to us about fashion and etiquette. She had a new dinner dress she wanted to show off. (Very vulgar!)

I greatly admired the ladies' fashions, especially their hats. I saw one very young lady in her undergarments and another very young lady in a very pretty but far too short dress. Quite shocking!



There was a raffle for tea and Titantic-theme gifts. I really wanted to win a Titanic tea cup but alas I did not win. We each received a commemorative Titanic print.


We toured the house which is decorated primarily from the nineteenth century. The house was lived in from 1810-1996. The attic contains antique 18th century looms originally owned and operated by one of the families who lived in the house.

It was an interesting and enjoyable afternoon tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comments and or suggestions for QNPoohBear, the modern bluestocking.