Thursday, April 16, 2009

What I've read this week

Books I've read this week ...


Talk of the Town by Joan Smith  
Called the Canadian Georgette Heyer on the book jacket, I've read a few other Joan Smith novels and not really liked them as much as I had hoped. This is by far her best novel of those I have read so far. A young country gentlewoman goes to visit her impoverished aunt in London on a family visit. Upon hearing her aunt's wild stories of the "old days" as part of the Prince Regent's crowd to the dark days of divorce and other highs and lows, Daphne encourages Aunt Effie to write her memoirs. When word of the book gets out to the ton, Effie's old friends reenter her life. Suspicious that Effie's friends are not truly friends, Daphne uses her wit to scandalize and delight Society. She crosses verbal swords with the overbearing Richard Pervival, Lord St. Felix, who tries to keep the ladies from causing more trouble. It follows the Pride and Prejudice model, which I love and though it is predictable, I enjoyed the story very much. At first I didn't care for the stuffy, proud Baron, but Daphne was more than a match for him and their verbal sword play made me laugh. I am quite satisfied they will be very happy sparring with each other for the rest of their days!


Tabitha's Tangle by Emily Hendrickson
Though this is a recent publication, it's more of a traditional Regency than most modern Regencies. I couldn't resist reading it because it's about a librarian! Tabitha Herbert, a country Rector's
daughter, is thrilled with Hugh, Lord Latham, asks her to catalog his new library. The position comes with many attractions: the books, the house, the beautiful grounds . . . and the handsome employer! Tabitha and Hugh quickly become friends and then fall in love. Numerous obstacles stand in their way, namely the beautiful, yet spoiled and selfish Lady Susan who wants Hugh for herself! What follows is the usual predictable plot with amusing secondary characters. I disliked some of the romance in the beginning. It was too unrealistic and happened too quickly. This book is part of a series about the Herbert family, but it can be read alone. I found most of the last chapter stupid and random because I hadn't read any of the other books. I would have preferred more romance at the end of the novel! There is also an author's note about mute swans. The writing doesn't come close to Georgette Heyer or Jane Austen but overall, I enjoyed the book.

The Merchant's Daughter by Rachelle Edwards
Despite the cover stating this is a Regency Love Story, the descriptions of fashions set the plot in the 18th century or Georgian era. This is a Gothic romance revolving around Lilith Redshaw, a wealthy merchant's daughter, who is sent away to visit relatives in the country to escape a inappropriate romantic entanglement. Lilith makes the acquaintance of the mysterious and possibly dangerous businessman/neighbor, Fabian Delamaye and her cousins: handsome and charming Oliver and headstrong Tamzin. Tamzin fills her cousin's head with stories about the ghost of a hooded monk seen on the coast near their home. Oliver tells Lilith about local smugglers and warns her not to have anything to do with them. Lilith feels the need to uncover the mystery surrounding the monk and finds herself in great danger. Add to this a twist involving Lilith's father and his business and Lilith's growing attraction for Fabian. This is a terrible book. The plot is predictable and cliched. I didn't care about any of the characters because the character development is so poor. I'm also not a fan of Gothic novels. I had hoped this would be more lively and entertaining but it wasn't and I don't recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comments and or suggestions for QNPoohBear, the modern bluestocking.