Saturday, April 11, 2009

Jane Austen

Jane Austen


Jane Austen has been one of my favorite authors since college. I love her sharp wit and keen observation of the society in which she lived. I especially love how she was perceptive enough to know how to mock society rules gently and subtly and make her story relatable to all her readers, even nearly 200 years later!


I really relate to Lizzie Bennet and how she remains true to herself and doesn't allow herself to be caught up with wealth. She grows and changes throughout the novel but never goes against her own principles. She's a modern heroine, ahead of her time and and I admire that greatly.



I also admire Anne Elliot from Persuasion. Though she selflessly slaves away caring for her family, she doesn't believe in the ridiculous notions of wealth and consequence like her father and sisters. Like Lizzie, she remains true to herself as she grows older and doesn't allow what other people think is right to persuade her to go against her nature.


Like Lizzie and Anne, Elinor Dashwood is also a wonderfully sensible heroine. She doesn't get dramatic
when her life changes, but accepts what comes and deals with it the best she can.
When I was younger, I identified more with the romantic Marianne and her dream of romance and the ideal heroine. I admit that part of me still sympathizes with her!



I have always found Emma to be too silly to relate to. Mr. Knightly is always telling her what to do and I appreciate that she takes his comments to heart but I've always been kind of bothered by their sudden realization of romance. I also find Mr. Knightly rather boring as a hero!



I haven't read Northanger Abbey in awhile. I'm not really into gothic stories but the recent PBS Masterpiece version was really good and funny. I'll have to give this one another look
to form a definite opinion.




I also haven't read Mansfield Park in a long time. It's my least favorite of Austen's novels. I prefer the more lighthearted, witty stories. Miss Austen once described Fanny Price as "insipid" and think I would have to agree with that assessment. I'm also bugged by the fact that Edmund randomly realizes his feelings at the end. I need to read this again to add more c
ommentary. The recent PBS Masterpiece version was awful! The movie version is good but changes Fanny to Jane Austen.


When I was in Bath about 10 years ago, I was thrilled to be in the setting of Persuasion and the one-time home of one of my favorite authoress! I hope to return one day to take a Jane Austen tour!

I will make another blog post to share my pictures of Bath with you.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Robin! I've been enjoying reading your blog. I just decided to start reading Pride and Prejudice for the first time - I've seen both movie versions and I love the story, but I've been chastised by friends for never having read the book, and I've decided that this is the year! I just got a copy of the book that was published in 1902 from my college's library. I was so excited to find it, I love old books. The illustrations are great, and the pages are nice and yellowed. :) I would love to see your pictures of Bath when you post them!
    - Gabby

    ReplyDelete

Leave comments and or suggestions for QNPoohBear, the modern bluestocking.