Monday, September 30, 2019

Banned Books Week 2019

Banned Books Week

Censorship Leaves Us in the Dark
September 22-September 28, 2019

Lightbulb holding a book. Text reads: Censorship leaves us in the dark. Keep the Light On.

I have read and loved numerous books which have been challenged over the years. When I was a kid I read everything in my tiny school library. I want to thank my parents, teachers and librarians for never ever restricting what I read. 

This year I read one book that was new to me and one I had read and loved before. 

Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever, #1)Better Nate Than Ever by Tim Federle--Middle Grades/Young Adult Fiction


Nate Foster lives and breathes Broadway. He's dying to become a Broadway star but in his hometown of Jankburg, Pennsylvania (outside of Pittsburgh) thirteen-year-old boys do not sing and dance. His parents don't understand, his older brother is a jock who picks on Nate, the boys at school bully Nate for being a theater geek and a late bloomer. The only person who understands is his best friend Libby. While Nate would do anything to be on Broadway, Libby would do anything for Nate and help get Nate on Broadway is her biggest dream too. When Libby hears about an open casting call fro E.T. : The Broadway Musical, Nate feels this is his one chance to shine. It's quite simple. All he has to do is 1) wait for his parents to go out of town (check), 2)lie to his older brother (check), 3) steal his mom's ATM card (check) and get on a Greyhound bus to New York and return before his parents come home. No big deal, right? Nate discovers that New York is vastly different from his small town. The one thing that remains the same is that bullies are everywhere, but Nate persists in following his dream to become a better Nate than ever!

The premise of this story is really cute. I sure could relate to Nate. When I was 13 I wanted to be on the Mickey Mouse Club in the worst possible way. I would never have been brave enough or foolish enough to run away to Orlando, plus Orlando is much farther from my home than New York is from Nate's home. I really like all the Broadway references and how the biggest flops become Nathan and Libby's curse words. I love the depiction of the weird and wonderful things about New York City and the process of auditioning for a musical. Of course, as an adult, I expected certain things to happen and largely they did but the tone is very light. I did not expect the cliffhanger, possible fairy tale ending. I didn't love a lot of language used in this book.

The writing style is a unique and I didn't quite find it to my liking. I'm not the target age and not used to reading about modern tweens and teens. I was very confused about whether this was contemporary or based on the author's childhood or what. I know it's contemporary from the Harry Potter reference but the bullies constantly use the "f" word to bully Nate because they assume he's gay and the bullying is really horrendous. I would fully expect adults of today to crack down on that and NOT let kids get away with that behavior, including using that word. All the things that happen to Nate in school are too reminiscent of my own 90s youth. Yes it makes sense for Nate's small hometown for people to be homophobic bullies but it is also used once in New York at the end of the book. I wonder if Hamilton has changed perceptions of what male Broadway performers are like? (The school bully's name is James Madison!)

I'm not sure I'd want my my nieces and nephews reading this though. On one hand, Nate is a good hero for kids who are being bullied but on the other hand, he constantly lies and breaks rules to get what he wants. Not so great. I did like how he remains cheerful and optimistic despite everything he's going through. At 13, he hasn't gone through puberty yet. His voice is high, he's short and overweight. That alone is enough to get a kid bullied but add to that his passion for musical theater in a place where no one has seen a professional Broadway performance and that is pretty much social suicide. While the bullies assume Nate is gay, Nate says he's not interested in kissing ANYONE yet so he doesn't know if he would rather kiss boys than girls. He's focused on his immediate goal and kissing will come later once he's older. He does seem to have a brief moment of self-awareness while witnessing two men kissing. (Note to Nathan: Go see Fun Home if you're in New York in 2015.)

As I mentioned, I do not like how Nate does a million and one really bad things to get what he wants. My heart breaks for him that his family is not supportive. His dad is positively awful to both Nate and Nate's mom. His parents are Christians from a small town and there's a lot they don't allow or accept. I can accept Anthony being a typical older brother and beating up on his weird kid brother but the parents trying to force Nate to be something he's not is just terrible. Nate feels he doesn't have a choice but to run away. He learns a lot about his family on his journey. His last conversation with Libby is a bit too wise for a kid of his age. It doesn't sound like Nate.

While I empathize with Nate and I do like him (but wish he wouldn't lie and steal), I really can't stand Libby. I can relate to her passion for Broadway musicals and wanting to be Nate's manager. I can't help but feel she's a bully in her own way. It was Libby who introduced Nate to Broadway musicals. What would his passion be if Libby hadn't come along? It's Libby who coaches Nate and teaches him everything he needs to know about Broadway. She encourages him to accomplish his dream no matter what. Libby lies and covers up for Nate constantly and manipulates the adults. Unlike Nate, Libby is not a late bloomer. At 12 she seems a little too interested in boys and seeing "the male form." I do not want my nieces to be friends with this girl.

The Broadway casting agency is like a grown-up version of middle school. They humiliate and bully the kids. The show business parents are equally awful in their firm belief that their precious darling is the best at EVERYTHING and Nate is not fit to wipe their shoes. The child actors are a bit standoffish and snobby towards Nate but they're all competing for the same part so it's understandable.

There are really only two likable adults in this story. Nate's estranged Aunt Heidi arrives on the scene just when he needs the most support. I feel a bit sorry for her that she's over the hill in Broadway years and her career didn't pan out the way she planned. She seems a bit... sad and pathetic but yet content and confident at the same time. She's awkward around Nate at first but I think she shows a lot of compassion and warmth towards him that her own sister can't/won't show. Their story is rather sad. Freckles is the only other adult who helps Nathan. Freckles provides Nathan with a "cool" (gay) male role model and supportive friend. Nate needs a friend like Freckles. At 13 Nate isn't a little kid and he's been going through a tough time. He needs someone older who's been there done that and understands and who will listen.

This book has both won awards AND been banned and challenged! The author's visit to his own middle school was canceled for fear of parental backlash. I encourage people to read about kids like Nate or watch Glee and other similar shows. Do not avoid this book fearing "gay" content because there really isn't any and it's incidental to the story. Nate is who he is and who he will be remains to be seen. It's a book about a boy with a dream and a passion who will do anything to achieve his dream. If you're going to ban this book do it because of all the lies the kids tell and stealing Mom's ATM card!

Recommended for ages 13+ possibly more mature 11-12 year olds as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comments and or suggestions for QNPoohBear, the modern bluestocking.