Saturday, May 23, 2015

What I Read in January Part III . . .

What I Read in January Part III . . .

Growing Up Italian: Grandfather's Fig Tree and Other Stories by Ed Iannuccilli -- Memoir

Stories about growing up Italian-American in Providence in the 1940s and 50s. This is sort of like a tame Italian version of A Christmas Story. Not all the stories are about being Italian and he repeats himself a few times with the same story told in different ways. My dad is a little younger and grew up in a different city but he can relate to the stories in this book. For me, being another generation, Dr. Iannuclli's experiences were vastly different from mine. The writing is pretty simple and easy to read. I'm loking forward to reading Vol. II though this one didn't wow me.


What Ever Happened to Sunday Dinner? ...and Other StoriesWhat Ever Happened to Sunday Dinner? ...and Other Stories by Ed Iannuccilli -- Memoir

More stories about growing up in tthe 40s and 50s. The book is divided into sections like My Mother, My Father, Family, Friends, etc. As with the first book I enjoyed the Italian stories the best. I especially liked the story about working in his uncle's market. He hints at certain things in early stories that get fleshed out later and some of the stories are a bit repetitive. I skipped a story about fighting. My dad's stories are better than these and I'm inspired to write our own book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comments and or suggestions for QNPoohBear, the modern bluestocking.