Monday, September 19, 2011

Little Miss Austen : Pride and Prejudice


Pride and Prejudice : 
A Counting Primer 
by Jennifer Adams with art by Alison Oliver



This board book is an adaptation of Pride and Prejudice for babies. Yes, that's right, babies. It's set up as a counting primer, with each number representing something in the story such as 1 English village, 2 rich gentlemen and so on to 10. It's beautifully illustrated on one side with a giant number and a background design that reflects the subject. On the other side of the page is an adorable comic style illustration to provide a visual cue for the number and also to explain the story. See examples online at the publisher's website.

I found this little book charming and delightful. My favorite pages are 4 and 5 which actually summarize the events of the novel. I know some purists object to watering down the novel to this form but I think it's a great idea. It's the only way I can get my sister (an adult) to read Jane Austen without vampires or zombies and hopefully her daughter will develop an interest in Jane Austen and pick up the actual novel when she's older. If anything, my sister's daughter will understand the themes of the story perfectly. If Mr. Bingley moved in next door, my brother-in-law would be arranging a marriage between his daughter and the Bingley heir or even Bingley himself! 

This is the perfect addition to the library of any Janeite with someone small in their lives or those who like good art or amusing adaptations. I can't wait to see which books they publish next!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comments and or suggestions for QNPoohBear, the modern bluestocking.